Community Manager | Developer
Early Bird Supporter
Hytale Blog Breakdown - #12
Welcome to the Hytale Blog Breakdown, where we summarize all the latest news coming straight from the Hytale Development Blog.
Key Takeaways (Zero Speculation, All Fact):This week's blog focused on showcasing Hytale's NPC / creature behavior scripting system.
- Behavior is scripted using JSON configuration files
- Examples of configurable settings include: triggering animations, alerting other NPCs or creatures, changing states, fleeing when attacked, defending self when attacked, chasing after players or creatures, and seeking out objects such as campfires or food
- The system is modular to reduce the amount of excess coding required to create or modify creatures and NPCs
- Three main components of the JSON configurations include: Sensors, Motion, and Action
- Trork discoveries:
- An example of a fun behavior includes Trorks, where they'll spar with each and other and fall asleep if knocked out
- Another example given was Trorks responding to discarded meat on the ground - once seen, they will run up to it and begin consuming it
- Trork archers switch to melee to defend themselves when in close combat
- Trorks like to sit and nap by fires
- Another behavior example is Kweebecs seeking out sun to sunbathe
- Another behavior example is Goblins throwing bombs at "problems"